Gluten free gingerbread cookies
As far as gluten-free cookies go, this is not only the best gingerbread, but best all-rounder I have ever baked for Liam. I found it online years ago and have tweaked it to my satisfaction. It makes a beautiful workable cookie dough, that can be rolled,formed and cut into any shape imaginable. Please note that the raw cookie dough doesn’t have the best taste ever… as it contains chickpea flour. But rest assured, the baked version is delicious!
On this photo you will see me using it as ‘bribery’ ;-) He has to name 3 words starting with the letter before he can eat the cookie…
225g rice flour
125g gram flour (chickpea flour)
1ts xantham gum
1ts bicarbonate of soda
175g dark brown sugar
4tbs golden syrup
• Preheat your oven to 180′C
• Using a food processor, combine the rice flour, gram flour, xantham gum, ginger, cinnamon and bicarb. Wizz together until well blended.
• Now add the butter and process until it looks like fine bread crumbs
• Next add the dark brown sugar and mix again
• Lastly add the golden syrup and egg.
• Mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball
• Tip out, form into a ball and cover in cling wrap. Let it rest in the fridge for about 30 mins.
• Take out, roll, shape cut as you please and bake each tray at 180′C for about 10-12 minutes, depending on the result you prefer. I tend to leave mine a bit longer, as I enjoy a nice hard gingerbread cookie.
• Once cool you can decorate using royal icing etc.